May 28, 2010

The Pan-Pet

The final Viewmaster Blog isn't for a ViewMaster at all. It is for a Japanese Stereoscopic panorama viewer by Gakken Co. called the Pan-Pet.


The Pan-Pet used widescreen images on 35mm film on a reel-to-reel device that is kinda laborious to advance. The panoramic images (this one has the trippy architecture from Expo '70) are pretty cool. Made in 1969, this product never really caught on so only a handful of image reels were manufactured. 
Here is a picture I took looking through one of the little eye-holes with my camera:


Apparently they made a reel of artful nudes! Wish I had that one. Here is a scan of the film I found online:


And, of course, here is a link for more info and images on the Pan-Pet.

So, that's it for the big ViewMaster week here on Tales From The Junk Store.
The big, big Junk Pirate Art Exhibition opens tomorrow night. I've been staying up way past my bedtime trying to get everything put together. I've only taken breaks to eat and make these ViewMaster posts. More info here. Hope to see you there.

No comments: